Monday, February 9, 2009

Back To The Source


On Saturday, February 7th, my wife Nikki and I traveled to Southern California. Our destination was Torrance. The occasion? We were to attend a tribute to the late Grandmaster Helio Gracie, who passed on to the next life a week or so ago. 


Helio's son Rorion hosted the occasion that was well attended. I saw many old friends and acquaintances. There was a slide show presentation that was very interesting concerning the life story of Mr. Gracie. After the program was over, Rorion shouted "John!" There were several hundred people there so I didn't pay much attention. I figured John was a pretty common name. But no, he was calling me. From out of the crowd, he came running over and shook my hand with a big smile.

  

I introduced my wife to Kim Gracie. I had not seen her in many years. She still lives in Pacific Palisades while Rickson resides near Rio de Janeiro. James Boran and his wife Monica were there, as well as Rod Machado. Relson Gracie was there. All of Rorion's boys were there too. 


After the ceremony was over and most everyone went home, Rorion asked me if I would mind giving a short television interview, which of course I did not mind. Then, we stayed there for an hour or two talking about the "old days." Rorion gave Nikki and me, James and Monica, a tour of the museum which was very, very impressive. In fact, the entire new facility is impressive. 


Of course, Nikki wanted to know all about the Gracie diet, so Rorion gave her some tips on where she can go to get more information. 


It was really good to reconnect with my old Jiu Jitsu teacher, the man who first introduced me to this most wonderful martial art known as Gracie Jiu Jitsu. Rorion emphatically encouraged me to stay in touch, and I intend to.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home