Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Jiu Jitsu Teacher's Growth Experience


After many months of consideration, I took a big step today in my martial arts career. Stick with me a little here. Achieving the rank of black is special indeed. I first received a black belt in Korean Hapkido in 1986 from Master Kim Jin Pal, in Garden Grove, CA.


Next, I began taking Gracie Jiu Jitsu lessons in 1989 from Rorion Gracie in his garage in Torrance, CA. My main teacher became Rickson Gracie, but I also trained with Royce, Royler and Rigan Machado. After many years of training with Rickson, about five years to be exact, I received the rank of purple belt. Today I feel that almost all of my fundamentals were developed under Rickson's tutelage. I continued to train with Rickson for a little while longer, but for personal reasons moved to Redding, CA.


I began teaching near the Redding area soon after. During this time, I traveled to Southern California to train, some with Rickson, but mostly with Joe Moreira and James Boran. Professor Moreira gave me my brown belt, and James gave me my black belt in approximately 2000. Since then, I have received one stripe on my black belt from Xande Ribiero.


Today is November 30, 2008. As I have already said, achieving the rank of black belt in any martial art is special, but much more so in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I think that awarding a black belt to a long time student of mine was more special to me than either of the black belts that I achieved.


Today, Mr. Rod Rice became my first student to achieve the rank of black belt. He deserves it too! He has been a truly loyal and hard working student, and a true friend of mine. More importantly, he has contributed so much to the art of Jiu Jitsu in this county. During times that I could not teach, he took over. He taught his five boys from the time they were very young. His sons will probably be the future of Jiu Jitsu in Shasta County very soon.


The primary reason for giving Rod his black belt is because he deserves it. He more than deserves it. But, it was also my intention today to give Rod the means to belt his own boys in the future. He can now do that. In three years, he will achieve a sufficient rank to be able to belt one of his sons all the way to black belt.


So, congratulations to Rod Rice, and congratulations to me too. It was a thrill to do this for me. I wish I had done it sooner. I look forward to promoting more black belts in the future.


Everyone – train hard and be patient. Our learning and growth never ends. You will get there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home