Monday, February 21, 2011

Is This Really The Same Woman Who:



Is This Really The Same Woman Who:
  1. Grew up in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Phoenix, Arizona?
  2. Worked in an aircraft factory in World War II?
  3. Gathered the neighbor kids for my back yard fifth birthday party?
  4. Took me to the beech to get sand for my sand box?
  5. Took me with her to get our first little puppy?
  6. Made bologna sandwiches for me in kindergarten?
  7. Watched me toboggan down a hill, and over a jump, in the snow?
  8. Took me to special reading classes because I had difficulty reading?
  9. Took me to the doctor for my constant tonsillitis?
  10. Shared her country wisdom with me?
  11. Packed me a lunch when I rode my bike 50 miles round trip to Irvine Park when I was only twelve?
  12. Cooked me lunch and dinner every day?
  13. Drove us all around town in a World War II Jeep as her only transportation for years?
  14. Along with my dad provided such wonderful Christmas memories?
  15. Taught me all the old stories of her family, thus giving me the meaning of family?
  16. Told me about the war, her contribution, and her family’s sad sacrifice?
  17. Took me to church every Sunday?
  18. Told me how important it was to learn how to type?
  19. Never gave up on me, even when I gave up on myself?
  20. Was so proud of me for graduating from college?
  21. Was so proud of me when I became an airline pilot?
  22. Was so proud of me becoming a father?
  23. Traveled with me to see the grave of her grandfather after I had found it in Arkansas?
  24. Came to watch my daughter’s softball games?
  25. Was always someone I could talk to?
  26. Had such a wonderful sense of humor?

When I visit my mother now, and speak to her through her confusion and deafness, I ask myself these questions. I ask other questions too. She is still my mom, and I feel that I have not done nearly as much for her as she has done for me. Occasionally, my mom still gets it. But, she never gets it all. 

2 Comments:

At February 21, 2011 at 6:37 PM , Blogger mp said...

Well said, John.
A lifetime of memories.

Mark

 
At February 22, 2011 at 10:30 AM , Blogger Jenny LeBel said...

John, I didn't know you even had a blog. I'm happy to see your writings, look forward to reading your other blogs and I will follow yours as you do mine.

Your mom sounds like a beautiful and loving person, who will always hold such special memories in your heart. You are both blessed to have each other. Keeping you all in prayer and loving light...

Jenny

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home